Tuesday, October 24, 2006



The Reasonable Father
 
The universe is a form of divine law,
your reasonable father.
 
When you feel ungrateful to him,
the shapes of the world seem mean and ugly.
Make peace with that father,
the elegant patterning,
and every experience will fill with immediacy.
Because I love this, I am never bored.
Beauty constantly wells up,
a noise of spring water
in my ear and in my inner being.
Tree limbs rise and fall like the 
ecstatic arms of those 
who have submitted to the mystical life.
Leaf-sounds talk together like poets
making fresh metaphors.
The green felt cover slips,
and we get a flash of the mirror underneath. 
Think how it will be when 
the whole thing is pulled away!
I tell only one one-thousandth
of what I see, because there is
so much doubt everywhere.
The conventional opinion of this poetry is,
it shows great optimism for the future.
But Father Reason says,
No need to announce the future!
This is it.  This.   Your deepest need
and desire is satisfied by the
moment's energy here in your hand.   

No comments: